Most motorcycle riders with small heads have a challenge: wearing a big size helmet makes them look odd.
However, helmet sizes are directly co-related with the level of safety that it offers.Hence, it is quite hard to find a small helmet which will also offer an excellent level of safety. The problem is that most helmet companies use the same shell for both XS or XL size and only increase the level of padding and foam to fit in.
So, I’ve put together this guide showing you the best helmet to wear if you’ve smaller body size.
Xs small motorcycle helmets review
Shoei RF-1200 Helmet Review
- Shoei comes with an internal oval shaped size so, if you’re having a spherical shape head it probably won’t fit you good.
- The Shoei RF 1200 helmet comes with two lining one on the upper level and another in the lower compartment. The upper lining is made up of heavily perforated, strong linen cloth whereas the lower lining is made up of a softer fabric.
- The Shoei is built for people on the track as well for the road. So, it comes with a neck roll across the back of your head and your neck to minimize the effect of wind and sound on your ears.
- Shoei provides excellent pheripheral vision range and the helmet structure doesn’t interfere in any way with your vision capability.
- It is one of the smallest helmet out there in the market. The small size also provides excellent aerodynamic stability to it. Plus it looks great to the eyes and is quite suitable for people with small head
Pros and Cons
- The Shoei is one of the best looking helmets with exceptional safety standards. The helmet looks elegant with its angular looks and steel matt finish.
- The pinlock visor which prevents fogging can also lead to starring, if you’re travelling at night.
Daytona helmets come with a new slim line design which allows it to fit nicely to your head. The Helmet is approved by DOT and meets FMVSS 218 standard. Daytona ½ skull helmet is the smallest DOT approved helmet in the helmet which is both stylish in looks and meets all safety standards requirement.
Here are some of the features you’ll fall in love for.
- This helmet totally eliminates the mushroom head look. It is extremely light weight and fits well with your head.
- It offers total visibility. You can move your head in any direction and see anything in the 180 degree range of vision.
- Superb manufacturing quality. It uses carbon fiber to give it the strength to absorb any type dead impact.
- More importantly it comes with a perforated rag inside the helmet to make you feel comfortable.
Pros and Cons
- One of the pros is that it is extremely comfortable to wear. You can wear it all day long but and you’ll not find your head feeling heavy or any such issues.
- It doesn’t hinder your audio hearing capability as it is placed above your ear. Many helmets block your ear in such a way, that you’ll find difficulty in hearing the low level of sounds.
- One con I found that sizes are not constant with the measurements provided. So if you found out that you’ve to order medium size then, order smaller size.
Nolan N104 Evo Solid Helmet review
So here are some of the features of Nolan 104 model
- Nolan N104 Evo helmet comes with optically correct face shield that can also be auto adjusted without any tools. Thus it offers you the ability to adjust it according to your head size.
- The Face shield also provides UV400 protection and anti-fog capability.
- The helmet comes with fully removable clima comfort padding. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Nolan Helmets also comes with reflective panel properties to prevent anti-glare and better night time visibility.
Pros and Cons
- Nolan 104 is packed with some great features unheard of in this price range. It fits quite comfortably and provides extreme night vision range capability using its custom tall eye port.
- It also comes with Bluetooth abilities. You can install N com Bluetooth communication system and connect your phone or your music with the helmet.
- Sometimes I found a problem with the locking mechanism which sits tightly around my neck region.
What should you look before you buy a helmet?
Most of the time people spent less time considering the protective features and look for trendy, fashionable helmet that costs huge amount of dollars but offers zero protection.
If you want to enjoy bike riding then, the safety to yourself is paramount. You can’t ignore it.
Here are few features to look for while buying a helmet
- The Outer Protective Shell- This is made up of fiber composites which will decelerate and will loosen up on impact and protect your head from the shock.
- The insider Liner material in the helmet also helps in absorbing the shock. So it should be of good quality made up of tyrofoam and other quality material.
- The Helmet should have a good retention system (i.e. chin strap) that ensures the helmet stays on top of your head at the time of impact.
- The Helmet you’re purchasing should be certified by DOT (United States Department of Transport) or by Snell foundation. The helmets are passed through strict tests schedule for shock absorbing quality and retention strength. Only after fulfilling their strict test parameter, the helmets are certified. So, you can be sure of the build quality of the helmet certified by them.
How to determine if the helmet is the right fit for me?
You can look for some easy tests to determine whether it fits right on you.
- The chin piece should not touch your face or nose.
- The cheek pads should also not touch your face.
I think overall Shoei RF-1200 helmet is a great option for someone with a small head size. If you used these helmets in the past, let us know in the comment which one you found the best.
If you’re facing some problems regarding this, don’t hesitate to ask in the comment section. If you need more bike helmet buying guides, check out my post on the best fiberglass motorcycle helmet.
Don’t forget to share this post with your bike lover friends.